VOCAL MUSIC (15MS/15HS)
Student’s vocal range and quality of musical ear will be assessed through vocal exercises, sight singing, and their selected solo.
Prepare a musical selection chosen from the list below:
- Lift Every Voice and Sing
- The Star-Spangled Banner (O, Say Can You See)
- America (My Country Tis of Thee)
Students who are studying with a private voice teacher may opt/choose to sing an art song in English, Italian, German or a spiritual. Bring 3 photocopies of music for the panel.
To present yourself in the best light possible:
- Decide exactly what song you will present and PREPARE it (memorize it, singing in tune).
- Your piece will be performed acappella with the exception of students who are performing an art song or spiritual.
- Say your name and answer questions clearly and completely.
- Be ready to talk about yourself, your past musical experiences, your goals for the future.
- Dress appropriately – look like a professional.
We are looking for:
- Vocal potential – Your voice has the potential to be developed.
- Performance and musical potential – You have the personality to be a performer and succeed in other areas of musical study (composition, recording technology, teaching, etc.).
- Passion about music – You are truly excited about music and/or singing.